":1" [rcr1] some copies freely available

Karl-Marx-Stadt Massive

Moderator: geroyche

geroyche

":1" [rcr1] some copies freely available

Post by geroyche » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:16 pm

after the shipping to the mailing list members a small number of copies is available freely

nicolas from recycle your ears, known here as head of ad noiseam
wrote the following about this compilation:

":1" is a compilation that was released by the people of the british webzine Re:Mote Induction as a debut on their label Re:Mote Core, in 2001. Originally mostly available to the members of the Re:Mote Induction mailing list, this CDR should however be now freely availale from the label (or so I was told). Clocking at an hour, this orange thing features 12 acts noticed by the compilers, probably while they were working on their magazine. Most of the acts are unknown to me, but some "names" are also part of the lot, for example Wilt, Delphium, Zipper Spy, and of course Mr Zaftig Research with a track by his Goose project.

This compilation could be broadly divided into two parts. The first one would be ambient and noisy, whereas the second one would have more beats and melodies, and would generally speaking be more accessible. The whole thing starts with a clicky piece by Ck Dexter Haven, with some small blips on top of a dead radio channel. Object also goes toward minimalism, wherehas Goose brings the stretched and muffled ambient soundscapes he is known for (or should be known for). It is followed by a great-as-usual track by Wilt, combining windy atmospheres and some strange sounds that makes you feel like listening to a movie with your eyes closed. Before and after a relatively untypical and simple Ovum track play Source Research, a project that is new to me but whose two versions of "Mouth" present some very nice blurry and tweaked low frequencies. The Zipper Spy track, that combines the typical zipper sound with some "singing" is also quite nice, but not too surprising. Finally, Baradelan's dreamy track ends what is for me the first half of the compilation.

After a rather noisy intro, Geroyche unleashs the first real beats of the disc, with a nice rhythmic noise track. The beat is quite basic, but a high pitched melody brings a little extra to the track. It is followed by a great tribal track by Delphium, reminding me a lot of a noisy Quoit, very catchy and well done. The first track by Lars Pellarin, "Sysrq", is less noisy but features some very interesting electronics sounds and percussions. Jeye then offers an good and accurately titled "liquid" track of soft electronic sounds and beautiful keyboard lines. Finally, Lars Pellarin ends the disc with an experimental sounding piece mixing some Autechre-like pads with gritty breaks and sounds.

All in all, ":1" is a nice compilation that showcase good newcomers. It has highs and lows, but should be noticed for the very nice submissions by Wilt, Source Research, Delphium or Jeye

http://www.remoteinduction.com/rcr
Secretly plotting to kill the U.S. president since June 1979.

Skell Nonch

Post by Skell Nonch » Fri Apr 05, 2002 9:40 pm

tamas please please I'll have one :)

stevvi
Site Admin

Post by stevvi » Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:25 pm

Ditto!

geroyche

Post by geroyche » Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:43 pm

sorry guys.

as much as i'd like to give you one personally,
i have to tell you that i only got 2 copies myself, and
i already gave one to a close friend.

please contact remote core records via the given
link :)

good luck.
if you don't get it there anymore
we might talk about a plain cd-r copy...

keep me informed.

geroyche

Post by geroyche » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:50 pm

and yet another review on that comp:

http://web.wanadoo.be/geluidsoverlast/r ... lation.htm

excerpt:

This is the first release of the newly Glasgow based Re:mote Core Records as you already might have noticed. Besides that I presume it was as well already clear that this is actually the label of the well known webmagazine Re:mote Induction which are also the gig-organisers of the In:duced Nights in Glasgow.
This compilation comes is a complete orange coloured jewelcase and mainly consists of rather unknown artists. I personally prefer when people actually follow the purpose of a compilation, instead of compiling all known bands just for the sake of exclusive tracks, this compilation rather compiles tracks of exclusive unknown bands, besides a few. Great!

Geroyche "Roter himmel 5", cutting machinery noise loops, slown down, speeded up again, shifting into a short oscillating interval to then move on with an intense danceable, slight EBM/industrial influenced, fast stiff rhythmic beat pattern. The background is filled up with an atmospheric repeated keyboard tune, which later is combined with more ambient layered structures, as also some washing noise-ambient sounds. This is a well constructed track, full of variation, change and evolution in sound. I would place it somewhere in between the known rhythmic industrial Ant-Zen material mixed with slight traditional old school EBM influences, though that might not be the proper description for you to base your opinion on. Highly recommended, find out for yourself and then comment whether my description sucks or not, if you can do better, let me know.

mind you, i don't have any spare copies...